our backyard

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Welcome to Gary DeLoia's Blog

Hello Family and Friends,

This is Kimber DeLoia starting a blog to write a bit about the journey of my mom and dad. As most of you know my dad was diagnosed on Nov. 17th with a rare form of Leukemia called cmml 1.  Fortunately, it has been caught during the early stages so we hope treatment will allow him to continue being the husband, dad, son, brother, papa and friend we all know him as. I hope to update this along with my mom and dad to keep everyone informed on how he is doing. I know I want to call a lot and I am sure all of you do as well. His plan is to start his chemo treatment on Jan. 2 in Duluth where he found an Oncologist/Hemotologist that he is comfortable with (Dr. Friday). He will start a drug called Decitibine and they say the side affects should be minimal. He will take the chemo 1 hour a day for 5 days and then nothing for 3 weeks. He will repeat this for maybe 4 months to see how he responds and then he will see his main Oncologist at the Mayo Clinic. My dad has consulted with other doctors and I have as well and it seems this is the best treatment for his diagnosis. There is talk of a stem cell/bone marrow transplant, but we will take it once step at a time and cross that bridge if needed. My dad is very special to many of us and all the love and support is greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Kimber, thanks for setting this up for Gary. Our thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete