our backyard

Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas 2011

Christmas had special meaning for us as we had our entire family home for this most special day. We even got a little snow so the snowmobiles got a little use and the trails are now packed and ready for some serious winter. It has remained unseasonable mild in Duluth so travel on the roads is easy. Allison's family left yesterday to participate in the Laase Christmas gathering and Matt's crew went to St. Paul today, also via Grandma and Grandpa Laase's house in Cambridge.
Today for me was the start of this path called chemotherapy. Actually I am very happy to begin the process as it is my path to healing and becoming well again. Kimber, Linda and I began the day by talking with Ruth, one of the staff psychologists at the Cancer Center. After that we had the normal blood work and on with the infusion of the drug decitabine, which is dosed according to your body surface area. I'm glad that my body is smaller than Fat Albert's. Anyway, it was real easy and it only took an hour. The nursing staff is obviously chosen for their caring attitude. Then a few more tests and off to lunch at Va Bene. I needed something Italian and this hit the spot. I forgot to ask if beer would interfere with the chemo so today I took a coke. I had heard the potassium in beer does have a protective effect on the kidneys even if it wrecks the liver. There is a drug that I'll take for the first month that helps avoid the gout. This is because all these bad white cells are going down the drain and might clog up in my big toe. No one wants that to happen.
Well, my schedule is chemotherapy every day for 5 days then 3 weeks off. The process is to go on for a few months and then we reevaluate the situation. In the meantime we try to do our part with prayer and meditation. Last night we placed my Grandma Deloia's personal crucifix over the head of our bed. She had very few possessions so I am very blessed that she wanted me to have this. It had previously been in Matt's room but now we need it close to us.
More tomorrow if I'm in the mood,
Gary

2 comments:

  1. We're happy your first day was a good day. We believe an occasional beer and the crucifix will help your journey ! Supporting you every day. Love Dave and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh Gary, Always wanted to know who had Grandma's crucifix. That's okay, she gave me Grandpa's gold railroad watch, but made me promise not to tell anyone!! Gout is an Italian thing; your supposed to get it.

    ReplyDelete