our backyard

Monday, May 28, 2012

Rochester Mayo

Dear Friends and Family,

I wanted to write a quick post to send an update on my Dad. He is almost done with his first week of treatment at Methodist Hospital at Mayo. He has had very little side affects if any, although they say that may come in week two. His chemo stops tomorrow and then he will remain in the hospital for another week while his body recovers and blood counts are healthy enough to leave the hospital. Things tend to change so we will see what the next few weeks bring. My mom has a nice extended stay hotel to stay in which is just a block away. She has been giving our guests a tour of her favorite restaurants and her favorite hotels in Rochester. Everything is within about 6 blocks so it's a quick tour (although I have been on it about 3 times so I sometimes feel like it is groundshog day :)). My dad has been in pretty good spirits and chatting it up with the nurses, doctors, and patients. He just hangs out in the community room hoping for someone to join him in conversation or suggest some good book authors as they are about to read their own book. We go for walks each day and his only rule is that he can't leave the 7th floor. Fortunately for him the 7th floor stretches through all the Mayo Buildings so we can get pretty far on the 7th floor. We have had quite a few visitors already which has been so nice for all of us. Micki Bell spent a few days here before I came which was wonderful for my mom as she got settled here. Saturday my 3 friends from college Patty, Erin, and Sarah came to visit with my cousin Janel. Bob and Maureen Ryan were here as well to have lunch with my mom and dad. Allison got here on Sunday and stayed until today which was great and we were able to go to my mom's favorite restaurant with her. It was a special dinner. Then today my aunt Betsy and Steve and Nancy and Joe came for lunch. We are hoping they don't kick my dad out for his excessive partying and guests.
All and all things are going pretty well considering his situation. We all hope and pray his treatment gets him healthy so we can continue this party at home in Duluth.
His address at the hospital is: Rochester Methodist Hospital, 201 West Center Street, Room #7-421, Rochester, MN 55905 

Love, Kimber

2 comments:

  1. This is great news. Few side effects and a great attitude is a recipe for a good outcome. Keep up the good work everyone. Although Gary is doing most of the work he couldn't do it without the outstanding support team and cheerleading squad.
    Love,
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this blog-your Dad and I go back a long ways, rooming together for a year in Dental School at the "U" in the old Zip house, and then I followed him to Viet Nam in 1971. Great Guy!! Becky and I wish him only the best (of course, he already has that with Linda).

    Dave Peterson

    ReplyDelete