our backyard

Sunday, May 6, 2012

How do you know when you love someone?

One of the obvious ways is that you like to be close to that person. You like to do things together and gradually your hobbies and interests commingle For Linda and me it has been easy because we like to do a lot of the same things. Just yesterday we spent time in our yard getting ready for spring and trying to make things nicer around the house. For me it is necessary to call over Linda to inspect and give  her approval for what has just been done or to discuss my next idea which might not be good. This gives us a sense of accomplishment, pleasure and closeness.
We have had some times of separation that certainly did not diminish our love, but it was always apparent that something was missing. The first of these was when my country asked me to go to Vietnam. These deployments were almost always for 12 months or more. This is hard to envision for a young newly married couple. We didn't ask to do this, but it was our duty to comply with the requested assignment.
Well I can tell you that we both felt our bouts of loneliness and there is always present a kind of melancholy. You do your work and live your life with just a little less of something. These pictures show a young man and woman who have not been with their loved one for 10 months or so. One is in Southeast Asia and one is in Minnesota. They love each other. They miss each other. They want to be together.

 How could we expect anything but subdued smiles that demonstrate this couples longing

Mai piu cosi lontano 







Now we face a separation of sorts that we certainly did not ask for. This challenge is far more difficult and unpredictable but our love for one another is strong. Linda will help me through it with the gentle hand of God. We have many friends and family to help us too. My Mother is certain that I'll be OK and she knows because she prays to God every day for sure. She also loves Linda like a daughter and is praying for her welfare too.
Tomorrow or Tuesday I'll be in St. Mary's hospital in Rochester for a while to get more aggressive with the disease. I have every confidence that we are doing the right thing and I too pray for my return to health.
The love of my life is close to me now and gives me encouragement every day. 
At least this time our separation will be only a few blocks or a few miles. But again it is too far.
GARY

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Gary. Our thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. Wish I had what you two have!! Praying for you and sending healing energy. Best, Shelley Schoenecker

    ReplyDelete