our backyard

Sunday, March 4, 2012

We asked for Winter

Dear Friends,
Well the snow finally came to the North Shore community. We have cleared our drive and walks three times in a few days. It appears as if 12 inches came down yesterday and today so we are happy enough.
The snowshoeing has been terrific on our trails and especially on the Sucker River. We are always surprised that more people don't use this wilderness as it is truly beautiful.
As to my health, I am still doing my best to fight this thing. It isn't easy, but so far the treatment seems to be working if not even too profoundly. All my blood counts are down so we monitor closely and take the necessary precautions and treatments.
The best news is that we really do love our Black Labrador Puppy. She is very well behaved and has learned her manners quite well. She loves the snow and so follows along out on the trails where she covers much more ground than we do. She is a pleasure to be around.

Yes, she holds it

Sammy

I've had some time to read a few books so I have recommendations for some that I really liked. You cannot go wrong with Erik Larson as he is a great writer of non-fiction.

I try to read every night as we find that we sleep much better if we stay up until at least 11 PM. This might seem like an early to bed, but our old routine was more like 9:30.

I'll try to come up with something more interesting next time; for today this will have to do.
Gary, Linda and Sammy
It is very hard to photograph a black dog

4 comments:

  1. I watch for your postings. Gandhi said:"Speak only when you improve upon the silence." Your postings invariably meet that standard for me. Looking forward to talking with you in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Dad and I love the pictures! I am so glad Duluth finally got some snow, it looks beautiful there. I will be ready to snowshoe with you the weekend. I am looking forward to our visit and can't wait to meet your 4th child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking in with you and your family! Sammy looks like good medicine!! The healing power of a labrador is amazing. Of course, they will make you mental every once and awhile just to prove you are still alive. In your darkest despair and pain, just remember all the people that love and care for you. Hang in there! A couple of licks in the face goes pretty far too!
    On another note, I got to hear Temple Grandin speak at Scholastica recently. She wrote Animals in Translation which is what Joe and I listened to on CD. If you are interested in listening to it, just let me know. Email me at QueenOPine@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, Gary. Kimber has kept me updated on you since your diagnosis and I have been meaning to write you for some time now. I am truly sorry that you have to go through this challenging time. I completely understand what it's like to be at the mercy of doctors and have your life turned upside down as I have been struggling with Lyme Disease the past 4 years(probably longer). Even though my experience has been incredibly challenging, I have found that it has has positive aspects as well.
    My relationships with my family have become extremely close. It's amazing how getting sick can bring people together. I find that it is kind of beautiful in a way. Another positive aspect to my illness has been my faith and hope in God. I never used to pray and now I find it to be a ritual that I look forward to.
    On a lighter note, ongrats on your new puppy! So cute! My dogs have been amazing on my lowest days. They are like family and they are non-judgemental...love you no matter what. I find it to be very comforting.
    On my journey I have heard countless stories of how organic juicing can be extremely beneficial in supporting the healing of cancer.
    Anyways, I wish your family well and I am sending positive and healing thoughts to you.

    Lots of love, Shelley Schoenecker

    ReplyDelete