our backyard

Thursday, January 12, 2012

40 Years of Dental Practice

Tuesday at noon three of us celebrated being in dental practice together for 40 years. I joined Bob Ryan in his office in 1972. We were on Superior Street in those days and Ginny DeRoche Randolph was my first dental assistant. My Sister Betsy recommended Ginny as they worked together at the Target Store which was not in the middle of a mall. Bob and I had gone to school together at the U of M, but we barely knew each other as we had to always do everything in alphabetical order. We found out that we shared birthdays and clothes sizes and even could trade shoes. Mainly we shared a value system about how to treat people and how to do a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Actually to tell you the truth, Bob had a previous career as a Car salesman and you know that experience has to help in any business. Gen Ryan (Bob's Mom) was our secretary, made the appointments, sent out statements and could even take shorthand. Try that these days. Bob had his assistant and Ginny worked with me from my first day and she and I are to this day very close friends and workmates. Now our office is much larger and we have many more coworkers to interact with and share different tasks, but that same atmosphere of trust and respect still exists. How else could anyone explain such long and wonderful relationships.
As a note, check out the link on the right column about Ginny's son Jake.

I'm feeling good today and especially happy to have Kimber and her close friend Joel come to visit us tomorrow afternoon and for the weekend.
Buon fina settimana, Gary

2 comments:

  1. I just received a note from Gary, learning of his leukemia. I was blessed to travel with him to Cambodia where we were part of a very small group of seven men--three docs and four 'grunts' in 1998. I was one of the grunts. From the moment I met Gary I adored him. At the time, Gary was a bit more reserved but since I am an old Marine I was able to impose my hugs on him which he 'accepted' with some amount of stiffness. No matter. His easy manner and great outlook, his warm laughter was tonic to my ears. Since 1998 we have made a few trips back together. I have gone there 12 times now and I have always regretted he was not able to do more of those missions simply because I so enjoyed the fellowship with him. Of the men I have known in my life, he is among the best. As I now ponder things he said, I well recall the passion and pride he has for his family and the joy it has given him. He is a blessed man and a great example for the rest of us to emulate. I am grateful to call him my friend and that God put him in my life as that friendship has likewise blessed me. He, Linda and the entire family are in my daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, Dr. DeLoia. Quite a journey and quite an achievement. I would also like to hear more about that trip to Cambodia.

    ReplyDelete