our backyard

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

With Friends in North Dakota

Friends,
It is very obvious that in order to write an interesting blog you need to be in a good mood or there is a high risk of seeming overly dark. Over the last few months there are times when it is hard to avoid the depression. Linda and I have been extremely lucky to have so many of our family and our friends give us such a measure of caring and support that we feel blessed and positive most all of the time. To be honest we have experienced some low days as well.





For a period of about two weeks we had the company of lots of family including all of my brothers and sisters. Every day was a joy for us all and the gang helped move my mom up to an new apartment (Westwood) near my dad in the Benedictine Health Center. Now she can walk over to visit any time she wants to, which is plenty. I got out of most of the work by going hunting in N.D. with seven  of my best friends including my brother Tom and my son Matt. We had a great time out there in oil country as we saw plenty of birds (which we cooked) and had a nice new motel to stay at. North Dakota is filled with so many wonderful and welcoming people, just like Minnesota. My new puppy, Sammy, enjoyed the experience as well and said she would try it again if weather permits. That means any weather, rain or snow included.

Kimber and Allison both came up to spend a long weekend with us and it was both relaxing and therapeutic for all of us. Kimber helps us to organize our finances and other affairs and Allison helps Linda with some artistic touches for our home. I also need to say that Linda and I celebrated our 44 years of marriage with family all around. We received lots of accolades, at least Linda did, for being an example of a loving family anchored by a solid marriage for so long a time. It is something to be proud of and in all humility we are.
Allison gave us this card made on her iMac.

The Years
Like a beaded bracelet,
You wear your collection of years.
They are what make your lives together, 
Whole and beautiful.

So lovely and strong as one,
We celebrate your shared life.
Years full of countless memories,
To connect us always.

                Allison



 


2 comments:

  1. Forty Four years is huge in such a loving relationship. Congratulations!!
    As to times of feeling low,.. that is common to all of us even if we don't have any health challenges.
    On the other hand, you have good friends, plus family and so much to appreciate and be thankful for to God, like life and the great outdoors.
    Keep up the "living".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly, to the comment above or will it be below...not certain with these modern devices, thank you for those thoughts, Larry! These words are all so encouraging...but I also want to comment; why, I don't know...not even sure if I can come up with words. (and instantly I can 'hear' my families laughter, 'Margo without words!')
    Well, Gary and Linda - you guys have us by 6 years, congratulations on 44 years of marriage! Allison; can I share your poem? I will always give you credit for it, but will need to be reminded of your last name. I apologize for that; my head is full of dog & puppy names; often people's names elude me. The poem is so beautiful, it must be shared! Of course, I love the pictures, and cherish the report on "Sammy"; thank you for those smiles, Gary. I'm glad she's an all weather dog, would not want it any other way! It runs in the blood, and speaking of...I know that the entire family happens to be all-weather folks, too; here's to many sunny days...it grieves me beyond measure to consider any other. May the Son~shine continually in our hearts. ><> Lovingly, Margo - who is keeping you all close to my heart with good thoughts and many prayers. Now, I am going to go gently scratch my dogs behind their ears and say a prayer each time...God moves in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete